Team Member Spotlight, 3D Artist Eric

This week is part two of our team member spotlight, and we focus on the second half of the dynamic duo that makes up our art team. Let’s shed some light on our amazing 3D artist, Eric!

[If you missed part one, check out zyuniverse.com to catch up on all of our team member spotlights and more!]

Where are you from, where did you study, and tell us a little about your family?
I’m from a small town called Centelles, near Barcelona, Spain. I come from a typical middle-class family in Catalonia, both my parents are hair-dressers. I have an older sister who studied translation and interpretation, and is now living in California. I studied in my hometown until the age of 16, which was when I chose to study arts, and since there wasn’t an arts school in town, I went to study in a close city called Vic. There I studied for two years, until I graduated. After that, I went to study Art in Barcelona. I’m 24, I don’t have a wife, but I have a wonderful girlfriend.

How did you get in to 3D art? Why not 2D or traditional art?
In Barcelona, I started a career in Classical Arts, but in the second year I felt like that wasn’t the place for me and I dropped out. Video games had always been my biggest passion, and I wanted to live my life making them, so I started searching for schools which taught digital art for video games. I always felt like I was decent at traditional sculpting, so I wanted to try being a digital modeler. In Barcelona, there was only one school that did that, and it was a four-year program. They also had a master program, which was a one-year degree for people who wanted to enhance their abilities in 3D art. But, you had to be at least 21 years old, and I was only 20 at the time. I had never done digital 3D art either, so I thought that either I’d start the four-year program, or I’d spend a year learning on my own, while considering the one-year master. I chose the latter, and after a year of hard work learning through tutorials, I got accepted in the master.

Outside of Zy Universe, what other projects have you worked on in the past that stand out for you?
I have freelanced for different games which haven’t come out, and I have done a lot of rev-shares that after a few months have totally collapsed. I also have worked on a few indie video games for little money, and I also have been scammed by a few "indie developers" that in the end never paid me. Unfortunately, I’ve never participated in a released game. I have also 3D printed for a couple of companies, and I’ve done remunerated tutorials.

What are some of your biggest achievements as a 3D artist?
All in all, I think Zy Universe is the best project I’ve worked on as a 3D Artist, so I’d say being a part of this team is my biggest achievement.

Can you walk us through your process for making a new 3D asset for Zy Universe? How do you take Oksana's concept and turn it 3D? What tools do you use, etc.?
I usually make a very basic base mesh with 3DS Max, then with ZBrush I add the details. Depending on the prop, I will use the base-mesh from Max, or create a retopology with Topogun. Then, I bake the normal map with the detail in 3DS Max or Topogun, and finally, I texture it in Substance Painter/Photoshop. If there are animations to be made, I create the bones and a rough animation in 3DS Max, and then I make them look better in MotionBuilder. Oksana’s concepts are always very good, and if I ever have any doubt I just ask her for another point of view or an explanation. It’s truly a pleasure to work with such a skilled concept artist, and it makes my job ten times easier.

As you are making assets for Zy Universe, one of the things that stands out are the textures. Can you tell us about your process for texturing, and how you make it look just right?
I’ve found a couple of tricks to make things look how I want. First, I create a basic material in Substance Designer, and then tweak it in Substance painter to make it look darker or brighter. Usually I try to sculpt all the details that I want later textured, so for example, if I feel like a scratch in a rock would look good, instead of just texturing it, I’ll sculpt it and then texture using different generators and layers in Substance Painter. I usually have a lot of layers for different levels of detail. This way, I can texture in a more procedural way instead of a hand-painted style.

What about the Zy Universe project or team do you appreciate the most? What keeps you around?
What I appreciate the most about Zy Universe is the awesome group of people that makes it. From the founders Andy and Chris, to the developers and the art group. There are always memes floating around and it’s just enjoyable to be in the Discord with them. Everyone feels more like a group of friends or colleagues rather than workers. And, I think that in the long run it’s something we all will be thankful for, because this way, no one will get burned out. I also love the concepts made by Oksana.

What do you like to do in your free time when you're not working on your art?
I’m either playing video games, passing time with my girlfriend or with friends.
Right now, I’m quite addicted to playing Dragon Ball Fighterz, but in the past I’ve played a lot of League of Legends, CS:GO, Rocket League or Speed Runners. Overall, I just love multiplayer competitive games, whatever the genre is.

If Zy Universe is wildly successful, what will you do?
First, when the game is released, I’ll celebrate it with my family, friends and the team. If the game is wildly successful, and I can afford it, I’d love to meet with all the team in person and drink a beer with them. Now that I mention it, beer is also one of my passions. I love tasting new craft-beers, so if I ever have enough money, I’d loves to be able to craft my own beer!


Comments

Popular Posts